Arthroscopy is a minimally invasive procedure in which a small camera is inserted into the knee joint for visualization of the interior of the joint on a connected TV screen. This helps in diagnosing and treating pathologies of the knee joint with much more accuracy and less morbidity to the patient.
Once the camera hole (portal) is made, one to three accessory portals are made for the insertion of the required instruments.
The necessary pathologies are treated with highly precise and specialized instruments and once the surgery is done, the incisions are closed with a suture and a dressing is applied. Most patients can go home the same day or the next day according to their fitness levels. Most patients can immediately start day-to-day activities and make a complete recovery within a few weeks.
Knee Arthroscopy is mostly performed for
- Damaged Menisci – the menisci are cartilaginous structures in the best knee replacement hospital in Mumbai which allow the easy movement of the knee joint. These structures can be damaged due to wear and tear or an injury. This damage can lead to restriction of motion and thus an arthroscopic repair or removal is needed.
- Cruciate Ligament tear – The anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) and posterior cruciate ligament (PCL) are 2 of the most important ligaments which stabilize the knee joint and allow us to walk and go up and down the stairs. Cruciate ligament tears are common due to a traumatic event. These structures can be arthroscopically reconstructed by the use of a tendon graft and help in restoring the stability of the knee joint.
- Loose Bodies –Due to the cartilage of the knee joint which may detach (due to injury) or Synovium (inner capsule) of the knee due to some chemical changes leading to loose body formation in the knee joint space. These need to be removed by an arthroscopic surgery if causing symptoms like mechanical blocking of pain.
- Bony and soft tissue growths – any abnormal growths which may be reducing the range of motion or cause pain may be removed by an arthroscopic approach.
- Cartilage Procedures: Our knee joint is lined by an extremely smooth Articular cartilage which allows jerk-free movements at the best knee replacement hospital in Mumbai. In the early stages of wear and tear (Osteoarthritis) where only one local part of this cartilage is affected and the rest of the cartilage is good then a Cartilage transplant operation can be performed. Here arthroscopy helps perform the operation precisely.